|t is historic and significant that the California State Senate has not only recognized Kailash Mehra Sadhu for her lifetime achievements and contributions to advancing Kashmiri Culture and Music, but also passed a resolution in the State Senate recognizing the fact that 500,000 Kashmiri Pandits were internally displaced and dislodged by acts of terrorism, many of whom immigrated to the united States and that majority of the Kashmiri Pandits have not, due to fear, returned to their places of birth, not even as tourists.
Honorable Michael J Rubio from the 16th Senatorial District presented the resolution in the state Senate on June 28th, 2012. This was the first day the 5th Annual camp of Kashmiri Pandits at Oakhurst/Basss Lake in California, USA. Kashmiri Pandits from all over came together to celebrate the July fourth weekend and connect with their compatriots. The weekend was a celebration of freedom, with roots that lay in 6000 year old history in the lap of Western Himalayas in the Kashmir Valley. Efforts made by members of Kashmir Hindu Foundation, Inc a Non-profit/tax exempt organization registered in USA in creating a platform for such meets for Kashmiri Hindus has been appreciated by all who attended such memorable meet.
Attached below are some of the certicates presented as well as some excerpts from the California State Senate Resolution.
- City of Fresno in recognition of her life time achievement and contribution towards Kashmiri culture and music. The award was given to her on June 28 in Oakhurst, CA, USA. It also proclaimed to celebrate the June 30th as Kailash Mehra Sadhu Day.
- California State Senate adopted a resolution on the floor of the house to honor and commend Kailash Mehra-Sadhu for her invaluable achievements and contributions to advancing Kashmiri Culture and music/
- John Garamendi, member of US Congress, House of representative, Washington DC also recognized her for Lifetime achievement and contribution to Kashmiri culture and music.
- She was also conferred another award and certificate of special Congressional recognition by Jim Costa, member of Congress on June 30th at 5th Kashmiri Pandit Cultural meet.
- Certificate of Appreciation was presented by Harvey L Hall - Mayor of City of Bakersfield.
California Senate Resolution
Whereas June 28th through June 30, 2012 marks 5th Annual Kashmiri Pandits Meet in Oakhurst/Basss Lake, CA during which Kailash Mehra Sadhu an entertainer of world renown, will be recognized for her lifetime achievements and contributions to advancing Kashmiri Culture and Music, and in recognition thereof, she is deserving of special commendations and
Whereas, On January 19, 1990, 500,000 Kashmiri Pandits were internally displaced and dislodged by acts of terrorism, many of whom immigrated to the united States and
Whereas, Today, 22 years later, a majority of the kashmiri Pandits have not, due to fear, returned to their places of birth, not even as tourists, and
Whereas, Through her many stellar efforts and achievements Kailash Mehra Sadhu has contributed extensively to the preservation of Kashmir's 5000 year old culture, history and sanctity
therefore be it
RESOLVED BY SENATOR MICHAEL J. RUBIO. That he takes pride and pleasure in joining with the people of California to honor and commend Kailash Mehra Sadhu a truly extraordinary individual, for her invaluable achievements and contributions to advancing Kashmiri Culture and music, and conveys sincere best wishes that her indomitable efforts will continue in the years ahead.
Members Resolution No 936
Dated the 29th day of June 2012
Honorable Michael J Rubio
16th senatorial District